A Case for Management Consulting or Interim Executive Leadership:
Today's environment has raised the bar on organizations with close scrutiny on costs, ethics, and outcomes. "Business as usual" has been replaced with "crisis de jour". Executives and Boards already have full plates, and can benefit from experienced management support or leadership for special projects or circumstances without adding permanent cost to the organization's budget. Often, there is little or no succession planning for management. If there is a gap in executive leadership, Luttgens & Associates may provide full or part time interim support and stability, working with an executive search firm for the timely recruitment of new leadership.
Luttgens & Associates will assist management or the Board in matters of strategy, assessment, implementation, or course correction. Consulting or interim leadership may be integrated with executive coaching. Our experience in all aspects of operations and governance allows for an efficient, effective structure and process to provide practical solutions that are hardwired into the organization once the assignment is complete. Elements of management consulting include:
- Developing or revising an organization's strategic plan, or plan implementation, to reflect changes in the environment.
- Leading an organizational redesign process to establish or streamline business systems and structures (Human Resources, Finance, Information Systems, Development)
- Conducting an assessment to determine areas of organizational vulnerability or risk, reasons for low staff morale and turnover.
- Planning and facilitating off site retreats for management teams, staff or Board.
Elements of an Interim Leadership Approach:
- Conducting a management audit to give the Board and the organization an organized snapshot of areas needing attention, with recommendations and timelines for action.
- Refining business systems and processes to minimize potential liability and assure ongoing accountability.
- Supporting the incumbent management and staff to achieve existing goals, while working with the Board on leadership recruitment and potential areas of change.
- Creating organizational readiness for new leadership before recruitment is finalized.
- Providing executive coaching to the candidate chosen, assuring a successful leadership transition.
Examples of Consulting Clients:
- When the CEO unexpectedly left Ronald McDonald House Charities of Southern California (RMHCSC), the Board President engaged Luttgens & Associates as the Interim CEO for nine months . Working with the six incumbent Executive Directors and their respective Boards, Luttgens & Associates established an operational agenda and communicated it widely, created new business processes and practices in Human Resources, Finance, Audit, and Fundraising, assisted in the recruitment of a new permanent CEO, and planned a Board retreat for all boards to work together toward common strategic goals.
- A non profit youth development organization wanted to transition from being entrepreneurial to operating on a more formal, professional basis. The CEO requested operational help establishing and refining business systems and processes, and moving the organization to the next level without losing the existing family feeling and culture. Today, the organization is managed according to their new strategic plan, with increased outside financial support and internal operational stability.